Programs and Initiatives
Our programs and services include:
- Training and Technical Assistance for community-based organizations, coalitions, schools, law enforcement and others working to prevent drug use in their communities. We are the training contractor for the Illinois Department of Human Services and our Professional Development Services Department works with the Department's local grantees throughout Illinois to ensure that their drug prevention programs use strategies that are proven through research to reduce youth drug use.
- Education and public awareness to prevent Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders (FASD). Prevention First provides WIC Certified Health Professionals training and technical assistance in the skills and knowledge they need to successfully prevent Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders (FASD) among the women they serve.
- The Student Assistance Center (SAC) works with public and private schools to support their prevention, intervention and related programs that address non-academic barriers to student success such as violence, mental health issues, relationship issues and substance abuse. The mission of the Center is to develop capacity in schools to implement a systems approach to delivering non-academic services to students and improving school climate.
- Illinois Students Against Destructive Decisions (SADD) provides training, technical assistance and support to over 220 chapters in Illinois. It also provides assistance to schools that are interested in starting a chapter. This initiative's mission is to provide students with the best prevention tools possible to deal with the issues of underage drinking, other drug use, risky and impaired driving, and other destructive decisions.
- Meeting and Conference Planning – Prevention First is a leader in conference planning processes. We suggest topics, speakers, special events and manage all aspects of the event. We have a 25-year history of organizing statewide conferences, ranging from 50 to 1,000 participants.
- Publications that provide the latest trends and education related to youth substance abuse and related issues.
- Resources and how to prevent youth drug use at home, in schools and in the community.