Employment Opportunities Listings
The Communication Specialist will develop creative design concepts, graphics, and layouts for organizational publications, professional development materials, and social marketing campaigns. This position performs professional level technical and administrative tasks to assist in the development of written content for all publications, marketing materials, and other editorial projects. The Communication Specialist will assist in the management of the agency website and social media channels.
The following duties are normal for this position. These are not to be construed as exclusive or all-inclusive. Other duties may be required and assigned.
- Develop new and creative design concepts, update existing designs, develop digital media for marketing/ communication campaigns utilizing graphic design software including but not limited to Adobe Creative Suite (i.e. InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, etc.)
- Contributes to monthly e-newsletter; develops editorial content in conjunction with staff and input from the prevention field; researches and writes articles; contributes to editing, design, production, layout, graphics, and distribution.
- Writes and/or edits and proofreads copy for organizational publications and other written materials such as conference registration flyers and programs, training manuals and materials, conference materials, and media materials.
- Assists the management of agency/campaign social media channels, including Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, and other relevant platforms. Creates content that promotes audience interaction, increases audience presence on the agency website, and encourages audience participation. Monitors digital impact – web and social media channels.
- Assists in the management of the agency website; includes content updates, design, and structure; participates in website strategic planning.
- Assists in creating production schedules; coordinate project parameters and timelines with other staff and print vendors; assists in developing printing bids and coordinates advertising and distribution of bid opportunities; acts as a liaison with print vendors on production issues.
- Prepares and proofreads a variety of data, documents, reports, and correspondence to include newsletter articles, curriculum, and other professional resources.
- Utilizes Microsoft Office Suite, Adobe Creative Suite and related programs including website maintenance software.
Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Graphic Design, Journalism, or related field with a minimum of three years’ experience in communications; experience in graphic design; or any combination of education and experience that provides equivalent knowledge, skills, and abilities. Valid Illinois driver’s license required.
DESIRED SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Creative - Ability to produce new concepts, ideas, and solutions.
- Knowledge - Graphic design and website maintenance software.
- Goal Oriented - Ability to focus on a goal and obtain a pre-determined result.
- Communication Skills - Ability to organize and convey ideas clearly in writing and verbally.
- Critical Thinking - Ability to analyze and evaluate an issue in order to form a judgment.
- Interpersonal - Ability to get along well with a variety of personalities and individuals.
ABOUT PREVENTION FIRST
Prevention First is a nonprofit organization dedicated to fostering healthy communities that encourage drug-free youth. Our mission is to build community capacity to prevent substance abuse by providing training and technical assistance and raising public awareness. Since 1980, Prevention First has provided training, technical assistance, and resource materials to thousands of schools, community groups, parents and youth. We specialize in building the capacity of practitioners to build and sustain effective community coalitions to prevent substance abuse, develop comprehensive strategic prevention plans, and select and implement appropriate evidence-based prevention strategies. We are funded through the Illinois Department of Human Services and offer our services through the state.
We offer an exceptional benefits package to our full-time employees (80% and above):
- Paid Time Off Accrual System (eligible day 1)
- Paid holidays
- Medical, dental & vision
- 401(k) plan (eligible after 90 days, vested after 1 year)
This is a full-time, FLSA exempt position, reporting to the Communications Manager. This position can be based in Chicago or Springfield, with the option to work from home. The starting salary is $52,000.
Please e-mail your cover letter and resume to email@example.com or mail to 33 W. Grand Ave, Suite 300, Chicago, IL 60654. Deadline to apply is Tuesday, October 9, 2018. No phone calls, please! EEO employer.